I was reading an article on Facebook the other day and it listed 10 things every woman should know. I was inspired at this and wanted to share something similar that was specific to trans women.
I thought about things that I wish a trans woman had been able to tell me at the start of my transition. These are the main things I've learned both as a woman and a trans woman in the last 5 years of my transition.
1. Practically every woman I know wishes they were thinner. They hate their roles of fat - their muffin tops. In fact the average trans woman puts on 9lbs of fat in transition. It's to do with the way your body redistributes body fat. But more fat = more curves and a bottom!
2. When someone tells you that you're beautiful? They're telling you the truth. It's hard to accept when we first transition that anyone would believe we are. We are our own worst critic. Remember that!
3. Sometimes I still wake up with facial hairs! After 5 years of transition and hair removal I still have facial hairs sometimes. You will achieve the hair loss you want to with time.
4. For every transwoman who hates their athletic legs - there are many CIS women who would kill for your legs! Be thankful!
5. Be more confident! Many people admire you for having the courage to live your truth. See that you're on a path to authenticity - a fuller, happier, more fulfilled version of who you are.
6. Don't try and look for self acceptance through others approval. Self acceptance starts with you. If you want to read more on this read my article here.
7. Ask any CIS female and most will tell you that there's a part of their body they don't like. Here's the thing it's called transition for a reason - becoming the woman you are takes time. Be proud and see the wonder of your changing body. You may not feel beautiful - but you should.
8. There's always one trans woman we see who we feel has it all. She seems so fulfilled and happy - like nothing in the world would ever be able to make her feel weak, or inadequate. It's likely that others look at you in exactly the same way.
9. You deserve to be happy. You deserve love. You deserve to be someones priority. In love don't accept anything less. Someone out there is perfect for you - if they're not in life yet? It's because you haven't met them yet.
10. You're a trans-woman. You've chosen to live a truth that so many wouldn't have the courage to do - you should celebrate that.
If you'd like to see a more in depth video on this post you can check here on my YouTube video.